Guest Post: Pamela Hilliard Owens on Her Successful Marriage

Today we have guest poster Pamela Hilliard Owens of Writing It Right For You stopping by to talk about her happy marriage.  There are few topics that I enjoy more.  It's so relaxing and reassuring to hear about how to make things work as opposed to hearing about what can go wrong.  Let's now turn it over to Pamela so she can tell us her story:









Relationships do turn out well; marriages do work. Besides the regular “love”, the two reasons why our marriage works is that we decided long ago that we were “best friends” and we made a “this is it” commitment. Of course we have arguments and disagreements and get angry at each other. Even after all of this time, it is sometimes a daily task to work through whatever needs to be resolved. My husband talks FOREVER; I have learned to ask for the “short version”! I have never “forgiven” him for eating ALL of the leftover chicken himself before I got home from work one day in 1999. But our basic values and common interests are the same, and we laugh much more than we argue. Our wedding anniversary is September 11; I wrote this little story several years ago and post it on my blog every year. How do we do it? Being together is much better than being apart.
September 11th

September 11, 1998.

That is our wedding anniversary. It was chosen totally by accident: after "being friends" for over ten years, we decided in August 1997, to "take our relationship to the next level". After several rounds of "telephone tag", we made a date on Thursday, September 11, 1997 to discuss taking "the big step". By Thanksgiving we knew we would always be together; we just knew. Everything went well and in February 1998, we became engaged. We chose as our wedding date, Friday, September 11, 1998--only because that date was exactly one year from the day we decided to make our relationship permanent. Besides, our wedding was very small: 10 guests, the minister, and our favorite Patti LaBelle song on CD. Then came 2001--after experiencing the shock along with the rest of America, I was kinda "bummed" that the Attacks happened on our third wedding anniversary, until…on Thursday, September 13, 2001, I saw a gentleman on TV walking around and around the Pentagon looking totally despondent and lost. I found out from the TV commentary that September 11 2001 was his TWENTY-FIFTH wedding anniversary, and he had lost his wife in the Pentagon. They were going to have a celebration dinner that night after she came home from work...of course, she never did come home. I was never "bummed" again; and the picture of that lost and broken man will never leave me.


Pamela Hilliard Owens

After a career of 35+ years in education, collaborative sales and sales management and marketing, I started my own freelance writing and editing business in July of 2008. My company, Writing It Right for You knows that "It Matters How You Say It"! I work with individuals, graduate and post-graduate students, and businesses throughout the United States, Canada, the Middle East, India, Russia, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom on a variety of academic and business writing and editing projects.

My specialties include working with graduate students--especially ESL students, anything involving education, ghost-writing and working with authors, writing web content, social media marketing and networking, direct sales, and writing and editing various papers of any length involving research and/or APA citations. I also do affiliate marketing and maintain more than three personal, political and business blogs and guest blog for several clients around the world. 

My office is open Mondays-Fridays 9am-5pm US ET; I can be reached at any time by phone, fax, Skype, Gtalk, Yahoo IM, and email. I am a full-time, mature and experienced researcher, writer and editor; my office is fully equipped with the latest hardware, high-speed Internet, FTP and MS 2007 Office Suite. I am also proficient in Web 2.0 apps and social media.

0 comments:

Post a Comment